Eating is one of the most enjoyable ways to appreciate life. But while cooking and eating are often social activities, they also happen in a very private place: the kitchen. Can process many pieces of data at the same time and learn to recognize patterns. And what happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen, right? Wrong. Here are seven facts that might change your perspective on chefs forever!
1. Chefs are the second most sought after professionals after doctors.
When people think of being a chef, they picture a young, handsome guy with a perfect physique holding up a knife and cutting vegetables or serving customers. This is because chefs are traditionally seen as sex symbols. But in reality, chefs are actually the second most attractive profession for men – only behind surgeons.
The reason for this is that chefs work early hours and spend long hours on their feet. They also have to deal with demanding customers. This makes them ideal for women who often want to be able to take care of their family while still working late shifts at their jobs as surgeons or nurses (look at Julia Child!).
2. Chefs are the third most educated professionals.
All those early hours of studying and practicing actually ends up being very beneficial in the long run. When a chef graduates from culinary school, 80% of them go on to work in fine dining restaurants or executive positions at major companies. The other 20% pursue other careers, such as owning a restaurant or opening their own chef’s business (a la Gordon Ramsay).
3. Chefs aren’t as stupid as you thought…
All those TV shows you’ve been watching about chefs throwing food around for fun didn’t exactly capture the reality of the profession. A cook who is good at their craft will be able to pull off pretty much any cooking move they want, especially in professional kitchens. This can include things like dropping knives, throwing things or even destroying potentially valuable items. It’s all part of the job and something that a lot of chefs take part in.
4. Chefs are the fifth richest profession…
Yes, you read that right. Chefs are the fifth financially successful profession in the United States, right after lawyers, executives, business owners and physicians. Chefs make good money and have plenty of disposable income to spend on what they want. They live in nice places and travel around the world when they get the chance as well. In fact, a chef can earn over $380,000 per year according to CNN Money .
5. …when you factor in how much they make on a daily basis.
For the most part, chefs don’t make as much money as doctors, lawyers and business owners, but that’s not to say they don’t make a lot of money. When it comes to money, a chef has one of the best jobs in the world. They can eat whatever they want (and whatever they cook) and usually don’t have to go to work early or stay late. At the end of the day, this means that they’re able to make a pretty good living and spend it all on things like expensive cars and designer handbags (just like any other wealthy person).
6. Some chefs can actually make more money than their heterosexual counterparts…
This is because most chefs change their profession every five years and have a lot of side businesses, such as having a restaurant or working with hot clients in the entertainment industry. According to the same CNN Money article, chefs make more than $100,000 annually. That’s just over the median income of a married couple. For comparison, the average median annual income of a heterosexual couple is $24,000 according to Census Bureau data. If a chef is married, they can make up to $385,000 more than their non-married counterpart. That might not seem like much when compared to the other professions that get paid more, but it’s still a good amount of money.
7. …but it takes a little getting used to.
As you can see, being a chef isn’t all fun and games. It’s an incredibly stressful profession and takes lots of hard work to succeed in. Sometimes you’ll spend up to 20 hours in front of your stove or on your feet just trying to get through the day and prepare for tomorrow’s dinner service. Many chefs hate their jobs and sometimes even end up at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pay. But when it comes down to it, being a chef is still a pretty good job. If you’re into cooking and have good at-home skills, you might want to consider cooking as your career!
Chefs are the second most sought after professionals after doctors and the third most educated professionals. They’re also the fifth richest profession, earning up to $385,000 more than their non-married counterparts.
Those who are successful at cooking often have one of the best jobs in the world, especially if they can afford exotic ingredients and expensive cars on a daily basis!